Thursday, August 26, 2010

How to Get 90% of your daily Iron, 40% of your Calcium, and 40g of Protein

Superstore's "no name" brand has a "six bean blend" which is a canned combination of various beans.
1 cup provides 15g of protein, 25% of the daily amount of iron, and 20% of the daily amount of calcium.

I also found a brown basmati rice there in a big brown foil bag from India; I'll look for it again next time I'm there so I can tell you the brand name. It is pesticide-free, gmo-free, and certified suitable for vegetarians, and its nutritional value is higher than many of the other rices. 3/4cup cooked provides 20% daily iron, 5g of protein, 2% of daily calcium.

So unless my math is off, doing up two servings of the rice and beans (sometimes adding tomato sauce and/or parsley and/or peas) and eating them throughout the morning provides 90% of the daily iron requirement, 40% of calcium, and 40g of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment