Thursday, August 26, 2010

Beets and Carrots, Carrots and Beets

My neighbour received boxes of vegetables from her daughter's in-laws last week. She knew she wouldn't use them all and sent two boxes over to my place. There must have been 30-40 beets, at least 5 pounds of carrots, and the largest cabbage I have ever seen in my life! I was thrilled, but in the midst of preparing for my son's birthday party, I was at a loss as to how to pack all this fresh produce away before it lost its goodness!

So, I went to my default. I got out my blender.

My freezer now contains little bags of roasted beets, pureed beets, pureed carrots, pureed beets and carrots, pureed beets with carrots and cabbage, pureed carrots and cabbage; you get the picture. All a great way to add a nutritional boost to rice dishes and soups this winter!

I also canned a few jars of beet juice; warm it up and add just a smidge of vinegar (sometimes I also toss in a bit of dill) for a wonderful fall/winter drink.

I mixed up a bunch of rice with tomatoes, parsley, seasoning,and cabbage, and tossed it into serving-size bags for casserole starters, quick suppers, or weekend lunches.

I usually prefer food-made-fresh, but I'm now rethinking the idea of having an apartment-sized freezer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment